Powered By Blogger

2009. október 18., vasárnap

Unique Sunday


For most people- christians- Sunday is the day when they go to worship. This is how it used to be for me. Somehow I always loved Sunday worship, although there were times when I left worship before it ended, cos I got annoyed or angry what happened there under the name of worship. But I always loved it.
When I became christian there were times when I had to lie to my family to go to worship and I felt so proud of it-like becoming as persecuted as the first Christians. Of course it was not so, just my family sometimes didn't like that instead of being together on Sunday morning I am leaving the family and they had to wait for me to have lunch together. I broke the family habit. But as a teneeger I loved to do this. Sorry, but this is true. But when they explained me there is no "kegyes hazugság" (lie that can be unnoticed and ok) I still enjoyed going on Sunday morning to church. I always arrived 10-15 minutes earlier because of my bus schedule. While I was waiting for the bus I usually sang laud (I live kinda far from the city) from our songbook. Before church I was meeting my friends and we talked about what happened in the last few days and what will happen in the next. We sat together-of course being faithful to the old Lutheran habit- sitting on the back row and it was so great to get aroud the altar, kneel down and get communion-together.
For me -as it is written- Sunday was the first and the last day of the week. A special time to put everything into God's hands that was in me- thoughts, feelings, questions, worries, happiness, love,plans-everything. Being emptied by the time the sermon starts and get focused what God wants me to understand from his Word.What instructions,comforting, encouraging words are waiting for me to start a new week. And when we reached communion time I was longing to being cleansed.Even if just for a moment, cos on the way back to my pew I had my on thoughts which most of the time crossed what I promised God a couple of minutes ago: I won't plan anything just take what he plans for me.Well, leopard cannot change it's spots,I am an administrator and plan-maker professional ;-). At the table being together with my friends and being together with God-now that is something! This is what you cannot have anywhere else. You cannot be a living christian without having communion if you have the chance for it.This is harsh, but this is my opinion.
After that we sometimes went to play pool billiard,had a tea and a cake at the Márvány Cukrázda and we sometimes debated over certain parts of the sermon. Not always ;-).than I walked to my Grandma and we had lunch together.We washed the dishes, we had coffee and I was ready to leave and had my second lunch with my family-what a healthy life ;-)!An avarage Sunday.

Since I got home from my scholarship from Chicago due to my job I usually work on Sunday,so I cannot go to church on Sundays. I always knew that not having a healthy rythm of life- one day for rest and God-is a missing point in my life.
Today I got up and I could go to worhsip.It was far and I had to admit I needed 10-15 minutes to force myself to get up from bed,not thinking about how cold it is outside, not letting "I have nothing to wear" excuses hold me back to leave seminary housing and go to a church where I have never been , but I planned to visit. A Lutheran church in the Buda Castle district. Long way. Takes an hour. Finally I decided not to use bus but walk up to the church. And I was lost. I must have missed a street somewhere. I just had that point again: now this is a sign to turn back. But I went back where I started, took the bus and arrived 2 minutes before worship.
Nice area.Cobbler stones, castle-feeling,nice-old-lu
theran church from the outside. As I walked in people were standing in front of the church door from the previous worship talking as I did with my friends at home. And as I sat down and opened my songbook I went back in time and I felt home again. Sunday morning.People are walking in an out. Knoking on my shoulder to give them songbooks.Kids running around.I had no breakfast as I used to do - let the communion be my first sip and bite. People were from all ages. We started with baptism. 2 little boys.Not just pouring on water, but showing them to the congragation as the pastor lift them up- so everyone could see them - saying: just look at them, from now on you are responsible for them and for the parents. And handled the two baptismal candle to the dads.

The sermon was honest and clear. The pastor used the Bible, quoted the words and I checked him as I used to do. ( I always loved that the bible tells us to check the pastors- look after the words whether they are faithful to the scriptures).The verses were from the Ecclesiastes.
7 Again, I saw vanity under the sun: 8the case of solitary individuals, without sons or brothers; yet there is no end to all their toil, and their eyes are never satisfied with riches. ‘For whom am I toiling’, they ask, ‘and depriving myself of pleasure?’ This also is vanity and an unhappy business.
The Value of a Friend
9 Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. 10For if they fall, one will lift up the other; but woe to one who is alone and falls and does not have another to help. 11Again, if two lie together, they keep warm; but how can one keep warm alone? 12And though one might prevail against another, two will withstand one. A threefold cord is not quickly broken.
he was talking about how we people long for relationships and community, friends, but with our being safe and having our own private time, space mentality consciously or unconsciously we built a brickwall and we stand alone at the end.,although we don't want it. I reached the point when due to my seminary traing I asked the question: so where is the good news, this is all true, but what does this say what god did to us. And at this moment the pastor honestly said: maybe it seems to be too big a step,and too chricstian, and maybe it can be seen as a sentence that pastors should say, but it is true: jesus came so we all have someone. He become the companion to all people . Anytime. Anywhere and to anyone.

We arrived to the 2nd sacrament. I had something more than bread and wine. Campanionship-by people and by God. Before we get the bread the pastor steps to everyone , put his hand on or head and marks all with the sign of the cross on the forehead saying: don't be afraid , have faith, God is with you. It is not usual in Hungarian churches to have the mark of the cross. It is rare that the pastor touches the people, most of the time they just keep their hands a over your head, but not here. Tasting the bread and the wine and experience the blessing of God through the pastors' hand was a moment when I knew I need Sundays. Worship can be done any day, but Sunday worship is somehow special. Unique.

Maybe nothing special happened this Sunday and you are wondering why it felt so special for me? This is what faith does. When ordinary things become extraordinary maybe just for you. When people can look at you and say nothing special has happened, but you feel that for you God was present, somehow it was different and it was a unique time for you.

May you/we all experience this extraordinary God planned and ordered Sunday rest and renewal!

Go to church,
get emptied in prayer,
be filled with by the words,
be cleansed by the bread and wine,
have family : Jesus and friends,
take what you need for the next week in the form of blessings
and go out so we can say again: see you next Sunday!

Find a church if you don't have one!Don't miss it!

Nincsenek megjegyzések: